If you have made the decision to go government (by choice or circumstances) the most important thing is to make sure you have all your ducks in a row and that you take all the important stuff with the first time round – trust me! If you show up without the necessary documents, you will be sent away.
- Identity Document – this can also be your passport. They do not accept copies (not even certified ones) so make sure you take your original.
- Proof Of Residence – this is to make sure you are receiving care in your nearest ‘zone’. If the place you chose is not in your ‘zone’ they will refer you to the clinic/hospital in/nearest to your ‘zone’
- Bank Statements
- Letter Of Employment – if you are not working you don’t need to present this.
- Referral Letter – this is only if you have been receiving private care prior to going government.
- Some kind of entertainment – you will probably have to wait a good couple of hours, so I found it best to take a book and some magazines with. Be warned though – your magazines will almost definitely be borrowed by other momma’s and end up on the ooother side of the clinic, so bring a few!
- Snacks and water – again, you have some decent wait time in store, so bring along some snacks and something to sip on.